skip to main content
New Hanover County Schools
  Contact NHCS | Search home Schools School Board Parents Students Community Employees Main Menu

NHCS - Human Resources

Educational Placement Requests

The majority of the student teacher intern or field placements that occur in New Hanover County Schools (NHCS) are through either the Higher Education Partnership (HEP) program and or the Professional Development Schools (PDS) program and have a specific placement procedure that is followed. With the increased frequency of student teacher/intern placements requests made from online programs or non-HEP and non PDS program colleges and universities, the following procedures outline the placement process for requesting observation, field experience, internship or practicum placements.


Considerations for Requesting Educational Placement

An application requesting an educational placement for observation, field experience, student internship, or practicum must be submitted and approved before completing any work in New Hanover County Schools. Observation and field placement requests must be made by September 15 for a fall semester and February 1 for a spring placement. Internship and practicum requests must be made by March 1 for a fall placement consideration and by September 1 for a spring placement consideration. A formal letter of approval received from the Educational Placement Committee must be on file with the placement site and New Hanover County Schools prior to beginning in any school site. Candidates should not independently contact any school and arrange or request placements. We will do our best to provide the most appropriate placement, but placement is not guaranteed.


Key Contacts for Educational Placements

Teacher or Administrative Placements Andrea Raines 919-614-0370

Guidance Counselor or Social Work Placements
Tanya Jordan 910-254-4346
OT, PT, or Psychologist Julie Askew

For application and additional paperwork contact:
Andrea Raines

In order to confirm New Hanover County School has a working relationship with your current IHE, please contact the appropriate key contact in the area of your educational Placement request.