New Hanover County Schools
  Contact NHCS | Search Main Menu

NHCS - Human Resources

Licensure Information Page                                            Look up my CEU's

Cindy Alexander - Licensure Specialist

Update/Reminders (click here)

The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction is the licensing agency for all teachers employed by NC public school districts. If you do not already have a NC license, you can apply for a NC license before you obtain employment with New Hanover County Schools.  

  • Applying for your first NC Professional Educator's License

  • Forms

  • Lateral Entry
    The New Hanover County School System offers the Lateral Entry Teaching program in certain "High Need Areas" of licensure, (areas in which a fully certified teacher may not be available).

  • Licensure Renewal Process

  • Add Additional Areas of Licensure
    If you hold a “clear, non-restricted teaching license” in one area, you may add an additional area of licensure (teaching) by taking and passing a Praxis II exam ( in the area you wish to add (no additional course work required); OR if you have 24 semester hours of course work in an area (i.e. English, Math, Science or Social Studies, etc.), you may also add this area to an existing clear, non-restricted license.  (The NCDPI requires a $55.00 processing fee to add an additional area of licensure.)

  • Frequently Asked Questions