Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) Charles L. Smith, was an Assistant Aerospace
Science Instructor, Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFJROTC),
NC 802, at Emsley A. Laney High School, Wilmington, North Carolina from
1993 until 1997. He was the Aerospace Science Instructor at NC 801, Northern
Nash Senior High School, Rocky Mount, NC from 1999-2002. He returned
to E. A. Laney High School as the Aerospace Science Instructor in the 2002-2003
school year. Chief Smith was born in Greenwood, South Carolina. He is married
to the former Brenda J. Kennemore also of Greenwood. They have two sons
Greg and James. He retired from teaching AFJROTC on 1 Aug 2011.
1995-Graduate Course work in Education, University
of North Carolina, at Wilmington
1993- Bachelor of Arts, Human Resources Administration,
St. Leo College, Florida
1984- Associate of Applied Science, Aircraft
Maintenance Technology, Community College of Air Force
1981- Senior NCO Academy, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
1974- NCO Academy, Barksdale AFB, Louisiana
1. August 1963-September 1963, Basic Training,
Lackland AFB, Texas.
2. October 1963-January 1964, Aircraft Maintenance
Technical School, Amarillo AFB, Texas.
3. January 1964-January 1968, Repair and Reclamation
Shop, Amarillo AFB, Texas.
4. March 1966-September 1967, Repair and Reclamation
Shop, U-Tapao AFB, Thailand.
5. January 1968-September 1970, Recovery Team
Chief, Kadena AB, Okinawa.
6. September 1970-May 1978, Repair and Reclamation
Shop, Carswell AFB, Texas.
7. March 1972-August 1972, Repair And Reclamation
Shop, Andersen AFB, Guam.
8. May 1978- December 1980, Assistant Branch
Chief Aerospace Systems, Loring AFB, Maine.
9. December 1980-March 1983, Equipment Maintenance
Division Senior Enlisted Advisor, Incirlick AB, Turkey.
10. April 1983-Febuary 1985, Production Superintendent
334 Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Seymour Johnson, AFB, North Carolina.
11. March 1985-March 1989, Non-Commissioned
Officer In Charge 334 Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Seymour Johnson AFB, North
12. April 1989- December 1990, Maintenance
Superintendent 4th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB,
13. December 1990-June 1991, Maintenance Superintendent
4404 Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Al Kharz AB, Saudi Arabia.
14. July 1991- August 1993, Chief Enlisted
Manager 4th Logistics Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina.
HIGH FLYING INSTRUCTOR: Charles L. Smith, JROTC instructor at Laney High School, received the 2004
Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Outstanding Instructor Award.
The award recognizes instructors who have performed beyond expectations and
distinguished themselves in the community.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
1. Bronze Star Medal.
2. Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster.
3. Air Force Commendation Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters.
4. Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster.
5. Air Force Outstanding Unit with valor device, silver leaf, and
3 oak leaf clusters
6. National Defense Service Medal with bronze star.
7. Vietnam Service Medal.
8. South West Asia Medal with 2 bronze stars.
9. Air Force Overseas Short Tour ribbon with 2 oak leaf clusters.
10. Air Force Overseas Long Tour ribbon.
11. N C O Professional Military Education Graduate ribbon with oak
12. Small Arms Expert Marksmanship ribbon.
13 Air Force Training ribbon.
14. Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal.
15. Kuwait Liberation Medal.
16. Air Force Good Conduct ribbon with 1 silver and 4 oak leaf clusters.
17. Air Force Longevity Service Award with 1 silver and 1 oak leaf