New Hanover County Schools proposed several changes to the traditional school and other school calendars and daily schedule at the Board of Education meeting held on October 9, 2018. District calendars have not been finalized at this time. The Calendar Committee will meet on Thursday, October 25, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. and Thursday, November 8, 2018, at 4:00 p.m. The primary focus of these meetings will be to prepare calendars for the 2019-2020 school year.
These proposed changes for the current school year will be voted on at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting, which will be held *Wednesday, November 7, 2018. (*Note the schedule change of the Board meeting due to local elections.) Some of the proposed changes for the current traditional and year-round calendars are as follows:
- Traditional calendar schools will change four of their teacher development half days to full days: October 26, December 20, February 22, April 5.
- The Monday after Easter, April 22, and the Friday before winter break, December 21, are now full student days.
- Ten minutes will be added to the beginning and end of each school day beginning on December 1, 2018, in an effort to make up instructional time.
- Year-round calendar schools will change three of their teacher development half days to full days: October 26, December 14, February 22.
- The Monday after Easter, April 22, is now a full student day.
For additional calendar information specific to Year-Round Schools (Codington, Eaton, Sunset Park), Restart Year-Round Schools (Snipes and Freemans), Pre-K Centers (Johnson, Howe, Freeman), Early College High Schools (WECHS, Isaac Bear, and SEA-Tech) and Lake Forest Academy, please contact those schools directly.
Please contact the Calendar Committee representative for your school or your principal to provide input on the 2019-2020 calendars.