Volunteer Data Announced
Community volunteers contributed 215,304 service hours valued at approximately $5 million to New Hanover County Schools during the 2017-2018 school year. Superintendent Dr. Tim Markley stated, “Volunteers and their support of NHCS are critical to the academic and behavioral success of students. We simply would not be as successful without their contributions each day.”
The 2018 Principal of the Year, Krista Holland stated, “Volunteers and community support are an integral part of making our schools, and ultimately, our students successful. Parents, community organizations and faith-based partners fill in gaps for us in so many ways, whether supporting instruction, athletics, making our campuses shine, or raising funds, we're grateful for the important roles they play in enhancing and making our school better!”
There are significant short and long-term benefits to regular, consistent parent and community involvement in schools. Some benefits of a strong volunteer presence in schools include: higher grades, increased attendance, students staying in school, and attending higher education beyond high school.
There were several data points that are significant to NHCS:
- There were 27,731 volunteers in 45 schools
- There were 215,304 volunteer hours completed
- 75% of NHCS volunteer hours are completed in elementary schools
- 14% of NHCS volunteer hours are completed in high schools
- 9% of NHCS volunteer hours are completed in middle schools
- 2% of NHCS volunteer hours are completed in early childhood settings
- Per Independent Sector, the North Carolina volunteer hourly value is $23.41 per hour with a grand total volunteer value of $5,040,267.
NHCS volunteers come from all sectors of the local community and include: parents and families, nonprofit and civic organizations, government, churches and other faith-based groups, and the business community.
For more information on volunteer hour values, visit the Independent Sector website at www.independentsector.org. For more information on how to volunteer in NHCS, visit the Community Partnerships-Volunteers page at https://sites.google.com/a/nhcs.net/communitypartnerships/volunteer or contact the Public Relations Division Community Relations Coordinator at 910-254-4319.