Construction of the new Blair Elementary School, located at 6510 Market Street, is nearly complete. The approximately 80,000 square foot facility, designed to accommodate 534 students, will welcome the students and staff of Wrightsville Beach Elementary School beginning on April 22, 2019, as additions and renovations get underway at their site.
“This move, with our proximity to Noble, will allow students to learn and grow in large, technologically advanced classrooms and will help to ease our 5th graders into the transition to middle school,” said Jackson Norvell, principal of Wrightsville Beach Elementary School.
The newly-reconstructed facility at Blair will operate as a temporary swing site for Wrightsville Beach’s student body while their school is under construction. Students currently assigned to Blair Elementary School will continue to attend Blair Elementary at Porters Neck, located at 416 Edgewater Club Road.
As part of the 2014 Bond Referendum, an addition to Wrightsville Beach Elementary will include:
- new classrooms and various support spaces to eliminate temporary mobile units on site;
- expansion of the existing media center;
- expansion of the administration area with improvements for safety and security;
- renovations to the existing building system and infrastructure to create an appropriate learning environment, and
- upgrades and improvements for technology in the classroom.
With the early completion of the new Blair Elementary School, construction at Wrightsville Beach can begin early to ensure work is complete for the start of the 2020-2021 school year. At that time, Wrightsville Beach students will return to their newly-renovated facility. Blair Elementary School students will return to their newly-reconstructed facility, and Porters Neck Elementary School will open to students to ease overcrowding as part of the redistricting process.