Are you looking for a way for your business, church or community group to contribute to the community in a meaningful way? Consider connecting your business, church or community group with one or more of the schools in the district. NHCS enjoys exceptional partnerships with people in business, industry, and the nonprofit sector that bring excellence to our schools.
What We Do
The New Hanover County Board of Education supports partnerships between New Hanover County Schools and the community. The Board believes it is vital to engage families and community members in the life of the schools. The Board supports partnerships that enhance academic outcomes and further the district’s vision, mission, and goals; this can be found in the Board Policy 9000. Currently, NHCS have over 200 business and community partners in 45 schools.
A community partnership can range from one-time events or donations to on-going projects. A few examples of community partnerships include:
Businesses & Corporations
- Chick-Fil-A provides food donations, gift cards and discounts to various schools.
- Corning provides speakers and volunteers and various schools.
- Food Lion provides food donations and partners with Nourish NC to support students.
- General Electric (GE) provides volunteers and speakers at various schools.
- Hendrick Toyota – Wilmington provides a new automobile to the NHCS Teacher of the Year and supports the Educator of the Year program.
- Lawyers for Literacy provides volunteers to read to and with elementary school students at various schools.
- McDonald’s provides food donations.
- Monteith Construction - Camp Schreiber, which provides tutoring and leadership building skills in males in various schools including Gregory, Williston, Trask, Hoggard, Laney and New Hanover to help build college educated leaders who have a positive impact on their community.
- Cape Fear Garden Club provides gardening activities and gardening specific donations to various schools.
- Rotary Clubs provide mentoring, volunteering, tutoring, snacks and financial donations to various schools.
- Kiwanis Club provides tutoring and volunteering at various schools.
Fraternities and Sororities
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Wilmington Alumnae Chapter, provides mentoring of girls and food donations to students and families.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity provides food donations to students and families and support to students at several schools..
- Phi Beta Sigma, Delta Nu Sigma Chapter provides supplies and volunteers to positively greet students at the beginning of the school day.
If you are interested in becoming a partner with NHCS, please contact Sandra Sarmiento at (910) 254-4280 or email@example.com.