New Hanover County Schools


Engaging Students, Achieving Excellence


Human Resources

"Our MISSION is to recruit, retain, serve, and empower diverse highly qualified employees to support student needs equitably and ensure academic excellence for all."



6410 Carolina Beach Road
Wilmington, NC  28412




Dr. John Welmers

Asst Supt-Human Resources

Robin Meiers

Director Of Human Resources


Whom To Contact For Information


Education Placement Requests

Educational Placement Requests

The majority of the student teacher intern or field placements that occur in New Hanover County Schools (NHCS) are through either the Higher Education Partnership (HEP) program and or the Professional Development Schools (PDS) program and have a specific placement procedure that is followed. With the increased frequency of student teacher/intern placements requests made from online programs or non-HEP and non PDS program colleges and universities, the following procedures outline the placement process for requesting observation, field experience, internship or practicum placements.

Considerations for Requesting Educational Placement

An application requesting an educational placement for observation, field experience, student internship, or practicum must be submitted and approved before completing any work in New Hanover County Schools. Observation and field placement requests must be made by September 15 for a fall semester and February 1 for a spring placement. Internship and practicum requests must be made by March 1 for a fall placement consideration and by September 1 for a spring placement consideration. A formal letter of approval received from the Educational Placement Committee must be on file with the placement site and New Hanover County Schools prior to beginning in any school site. Candidates should not independently contact any school and arrange or request placements. We will do our best to provide the most appropriate placement, but placement is not guaranteed.

Key Contacts for Educational Placements
Teacher or Administrative Placements  - Andrea Raines
Guidance Counselor or Social Work Placements - Tanya Jordan
OT, PT, or Psychologist Placements - Julie Askew

For application and additional paperwork regarding school counselors and social workers contact:
Tanya Jordan

For application and additional paperwork in all other areas contact:
Andrea Raines

In order to confirm New Hanover County Schools has a working relationship with your current IHE, please contact the appropriate key contact in the area of your Educational Placement request.


Job Descriptions

Child Nutrition

Facility Planning and Construction


Human Resources


Maintenance Operations




Special Education

Student Support Services


Technology & Digital Learning


Licensure Information

Shelia Washington
Licensure Specialist
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction is the licensing agency for all teachers employed by NC public school districts. If you do not already have a NC license, you must apply for a NC license before you obtain employment with New Hanover County Schools.  

NC License Requirement for Certified Positions
Professional Educators must be NC licensed in their area/subject/grade.

If not certified in the state of NC, you are ineligible for a certified position until all official documentation has been submitted via the NC Dept. of Public Instruction’s online automated licensure system.  Copies of all required documentation must also be on file with NHCS.

To apply for your NC Professional Educator's certificate, you will need the following:
  • Official transcripts (for all degrees completed)
  • Form V (must be completed by university's Dean of Education or Licensure Officer, and returned to you)
  • Copy of out-of-state teaching certificate (if not available, Form V will suffice)
  • Test scores that were required for certification (Praxis II, etc.)
  • Any additional documentation related to your certification (Highly Qualified status, etc.)
  • Form E (must be completed by previous employers and returned to you for experience verification for salary purposes, and to determine what type of certificate will be issued)
  • $100.00 processing fee (must be paid with Visa or Master Card)
    • Form V and E can be found by clicking on this link:
    • When you have compiled the above documentation, you must scan and make electronic copies, which must be submitted online, to the NC Dept. of Public Instruction's online automated licensure system.

To access the NC DPI Licensure Section’s online system, and create your account, click below (you will need to use a personal email address for this system)

NCDPI Online Licensure 

Once documentation has been submitted online and scanned into the system at the NC DPI Licensure Section, it can take 8 weeks or longer to process. 

While a person might be hired as a substitute teacher, we cannot hire a teacher without a fully documented license request pending at the NC DPI. 

Licensure Renewal Process

Frequently Asked Questions


If you hold a clear teaching license with no restrictions, you can add an area to your license by taking and passing the Praxis II Test or Pearson Test for North Carolina: Foundations of Reading and General Curriculum (effective October 1, 2014) for that area, or, by completing a state approved teacher education program that leads to licensure, or by completing 24 hours in the subject area with a grade of C or better. If you hold a professional educator’s student services license, you must complete the teacher education program to add a teaching area to your existing license.

In order for the area to be added, a request to add, required documentation (see above), and a $60.00 processing fee must be submitted via the NC DPI's online licensure system (click here to access the website).

Want to Teach?

Click here!

CTE Teacher Education/Licensing Programs

New Hire Information

  Employee Portal
(View Paycheck Here)

New Hire Process
  1. At the conclusion of the interview process the principal or supervisor submits their recommendation for hire to the Division of Human Resources.

  2. A criminal background check is conducted.
  3. A position offer will be made by a Human Resources Administrator upon verification of all qualifications are met.
  4. After accepting this position, a Human Resource support associate will contact you to schedule your orientation. The orientation typically occurs after your Health Certificate Form and TB test have been completed by a doctor.
  5. Please understand that the New Hire forms are NOT needed until AFTER you have accepted a position with New Hanover County Schools.
Pre-Employment Orientation

Orientation is designed to give new employees a preview of the school system's policies and requirements.  New employees have the opportunity to ask any questions they need answered.  Employees will also be submitting required paperwork for the new hire process during this meeting (listed below).

New Hire Forms
New Hire Forms - Pre-K

Frequently Asked Questions about Orientation are listed below:

How long does the Orientation last?
The orientation meeting lasts about 2 hours. The Benefits Orientation is included in the orientation meeting.

What should I bring?
  • Appropriate identification for completion of the federal Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9). You will need to bring original forms of your identification documents, no photocopies or faxed copies.
  • An original Social Security card for payroll purposes (no copies). 
  • If you do not have your social security card, you will need to apply for one at the local Social Security Employment Office.
    • 1528 S. 16th Street Wilmington, NC 28401
    • 866-964-6227
  • Completed Health Certificate with TB results.
  • A voided check for direct deposit
  • Completed New Hire forms (see list above) 

Where do I report for the Orientation?
6410 Carolina Beach Road

Where can I get a physical and TB test for my Health Certificate? Who pays for this exam?
Any health care provider, including the local Health Department, walk-in clinic, or your family doctor may be able to administer a TB test and complete the physical form for you. The fee is the responsibility of the employee.

Can I email or mail the New Hire forms to you prior to orientation?
Yes, you may email your paperwork to the support associate that contacts you for orientation or mail to New Hanover County Schools, 6410 Carolina Beach Road, Wilmington NC 28412.

What is your fax number?
The fax number is 910-254-4471. Please be sure to attention your information to the appropriate department (classified or certified). Other fax numbers are listed below.

Benefits 910-254-4129

Licensure 910-254-4134
Substitute Office 910-254-4413


Application Process

Employee Portal

Employee Portal Instructions

Information for Current NHCS Substitutes

Aesop Substitute Information 

Sub System Phone Number    800-942-3767
Sub System Web Site Address
Helpdesk    910-254-4345

Substitute Handbook
Information on how to register with the Employee Portal and access your pay stubs online

Expectations of All Substitute Teachers