BECOMING A SUBSTITUTE TEACHER IN NEW HANOVER COUNTY SCHOOLS
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher.
An effective substitute teacher is a vital part of student learning in the absence of a teacher.
We need substitutes who will work together with our teachers and staff at our schools to provide an invaluable service for our system. By substituting, you help us by stepping in for them in order to maintain an educational environment of respect, kindness, and compassion for our students.
- Principal Interview – Two principal interviews must be completed. One for elementary and the other at a middle or high school. The applicant should contact the school(s) of choice to schedule an interview. The principals have access to the interview form and once the interview is complete, the principal or designee will submit their recommendation form to the sub office. Interviews may sometimes be conducted by the assistant principal when the principal is not available.
- Provide acceptable documents evidencing identity and employment authorization, such as a copy of your driver's license and social security card or passport that has not expired. These can be submitted at the time you submit your other paperwork.
Previous NHCS Employees: Please complete the Former NHCS Employee Application. The sub office will contact you for additional paperwork if needed. NOTE: NHCS employees separated longer than 5 years must complete the entire application package.
Optional: License teachers may request to be excluded from taking the orientation by signing the Letter of Attestation.
Once an applicant has submitted the Disclosure & Authorization form, proof of education, and teaching license (if applicable) and had principal interviews, the application and information will be reviewed. If approved, the applicant will be sent an email with additional forms to complete. Additionally, applicants must pass an online *Employment Orientation and if applicable, an Effective Teacher Training course. Furthermore, the applicant will need to complete the state health form and obtain a TB test before reporting to work.
*Note that the review and approval of each application will take several days.
*The online Employment Orientation will cost $39.00 ($49.00 with Effective Substitute Teacher Training (ETT), the Employment Orientation ($39.00) will be required for all applicants. The $49.00 course is for those that do not have a teaching degree. A link to these courses will be emailed to you after all paperwork has been approved.
Substitute hours are capped at 129 hours per month.
|$103.00 / day||
Daily rate for a substitute that holds a clear active or expired Teaching License from NC or any other state and Interns who hold a pending completion letter. A person who has a provisional license that has expired does not qualify.
|$80.00 / day||
Daily rate for a substitute that has completed the Effective Teacher Training Program as evidenced by an “award of completion.”
|$80.00 / day||Daily rate paid to any substitute working for a Teacher Assistant (certified or not).|
Long Term Substitutes
- Must be on the New Hanover County Schools active substitute list.
- Must hold an active NC teaching certificate in the appropriate content area.
- The principal of the school will make the recommendation.
- The long term assignment must be for 4 weeks (20 days) or more.
- The long term assignment must be approved by the Division of Human Resources.
Attention: Substitute Office
6410 Carolina Beach Road
Wilmington, NC 28412
Please contact Kim Cox at 910-254-4345 or email@example.com if you have any questions.